This Thai soup is packed with veggies, spicy thai flavour and creamy coconut milk. Easy, flavourful and customizable; budget friendly too! Ready in about 30 minutes.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cook Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp neutral cooking oil
- 2 Cloves of garlic (but if you are like me do 4)
- 2 Tbsp of red curry paste (I also use green)
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 bunch of baby bok choy (if your like me then add as many as you like)
- 4 cups of veg or chicken broth
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3.5 oz rice vermicelli noodles (I use brown)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 lime
- Handful of cilanto
- Sriracha to taste
- Prepare the vegetables for the soup and garnishes first, so they are ready to go. Mince the garlic and grate the ginger using a small holed cheese grater. Peel and dice the sweet potato into inch cudes. Wash the bok choy, then chop into one-inch strips, separating the fibrous stalks from the delicate green ends. Thinly slice the red onion and roughy chop the cilantro.
- Add the cooking oil to a large soup pot along with the minced garlic, grated ginger and Thai curry paste. Sauté the garlic, ginger and curry paste over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced sweet potato and chopped bok choy stalks to the pot (save the leafy green ends for later) along with the chicken broth. Bring the pot to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the sweet potato are tender.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the rice noodles then set aside
- Once the sweet potato are tender, add the coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar to the soup. Stir, taste and adjust fish sauce or brown sugar if needed. Finally, add the bok choy greens and let them wilt in the hot soup
- To serve, divide the rice vermicelli into 4 bowls. Ladle the soup and vegetables over the noodles, then top with red onion, cilantro, a wedge of lime and a drizzle of sriracha.
Again, explore different vegetables to make it your own. With soups like this the sky is the limit to what you can create, have fun!